Known for high intensity workouts and expensive memberships. One of the biggest barriers for entry to any crossfit gym is the cost. With pricing and fee structures different at every gym. Today we’ll break down the costs, what to expect for the price, and different fee structures most gyms will be willing to offer. Answering the question, how much is crossfit a month and what type of membership do you need?
Types of Membership:
- Unlimited membership offers unlimited classes per month, generally costing between $100-$250 per month.
- Monthly Punch Card allows you to pay for a specific number of classes each month, usually between $15-$25 per class.
- Punch Card with No Time Limit (less common) lets you pay for a set number of classes to use at your convenience, also around $15-$25 per class.
- Open Gym membership (offered at select gyms) allows you to work out during open gym hours, typically costing between $75-$150 per month.
Factors Affecting Crossfit Costs:
- Location plays a significant role; city affiliates tend to cost $200+ per month.
- More full-time coaches generally lead to higher prices, with an extra $10-$20 per coach per month.
- Crossfit equipment is expensive and requires frequent replacement, impacting fees.
- Quality programming design encourages better results and may justify higher costs.
- A strong community, fostered by coaching, adds value to the membership.
Gym Contracts & Saving Money:
- Typical contracts require one month’s notice to cancel, with access for that final month.
- Many gyms allow membership pauses, usually for 3 months.
- Savings options include family memberships, paying in advance for 6 or 12 months, military/first responder discounts, student/teacher discounts, and senior discounts.
A Guide to How Much Crossfit Costs a Month, Membership Types, and How to Save
Types of Membership
Below is a quick overview of the membership options offered at most affiliates:
- Unlimited – Unlimited classes per month. Generally between $100-$250 per month.
- Monthly Punch Card – Pay for X number of classes per month. Generally between $15-$25 per class.
- Punch Card with No Time Limit (becoming less common) – Pay for X number of classes and use them as needed. Generally between $15-$25 per class.
- Open Gym (only offered at some gyms)- Workout during open gym hours. Generally between $75-$150 per month.
How Much is Crossfit a Month
Crossfit prices typically range from $100 to $250 a month. And while this may seem like a big range, there are some factors that affect this drastically. For example, a Crossfit gym located in San Francisco, CA is going to cost a lot more than one in Mobile, Alabama. But location isn’t everything. There are a couple important factors to take into account when looking at a gym’s price. The biggest factors should be location, coaching, equipment, programing, and community.
As mentioned above, location may have the biggest effect on pricing. Expect to pay more, typically $200+ for city Crossfit affiliate locations.
If the gym you are looking at has one full time coach or more, it generally means it will be more expensive. And for every full time coach they have, add another $10-20 per month. All that said there are huge advantages of having a full time coaching staff. You can expect an overall better, more immersive experience. And coaching has a direct effect on the next few factors.
Fitness equipment is expensive. And the beating that Crossfit equipment takes compared to globo gym equipment is drastic. Meaning that it typically costs more and has to be replaced more often. That’s just the general stuff like bumper plates, barbells, and rowers. If the gym has some of the more unique Crossfit specific equipment like ski ergs assault runners, it’s probably going to have a higher fee to cover maintenance and replacement cost. But again, better equipment goes to create a better overall experience for the member.
When you first start going to crossfit, it can feel like everyday they are just throwing a random workout at you. But at a quality gym there will be a method to their madness. A good coach will put together quality programming design to help their athletes achieve general fitness improvements. They should also relay this to their members. Good programming encourages people to come more often and see better results.
Joining a Crossfit gym is nothing like joining a typical gym. It’s more like a club, with a quality box offering community events and extracurricular activities outside of the gym. Things like BBQ’s, throwing baby showers for members, and game nights are all popular events at gyms with a good community. This typically comes back to coaching. And a good community is worth paying more. Trust me!
Gym Contracts & Saving Money
There are a few things you should know about the typical crossfit affiliate contract.
- Most require one month’s notice to cancel your contract. This means once you cancel, one more payment will be processed. And you will have access to the gym for that month.
- You can often pause your membership. Standard length for pausing a membership is 3 months. But every gym can be different.
Many gyms offer ways to save on your membership contract. Below are a few ways you might beagle to save.
- Family Membership – Many gyms offer a discount for multiple members that live in the same household.
- Pay in Advance – Often if you pay in advance for either 6 or 12 months you can receive a discount.
- Military & First Responders – Discounts for current and former military and active first responders .
- Student & Teacher Discounts – Discounts for current students and teachers.
- Senior Discounts – Discounts for seniors.
How much is Crossfit a month? I hope after reading this you can understand that there is more to that question than just a price tag. Quality affiliates offer high end coaching, often on par with the level of personal training. They provide access to expensive equipment and technical programming. Design to make you a better athlete. And most importantly, a good gym will be a community. With a group of great people that will encourage you and become healthy friends.
Deciding what type of membership is right for you can be tough. But I always encourage people to go with an unlimited plan. It will provide the best bang for your buck and hopefully, get you in the gym more often. If you’re interested in trying a new gym you can even ask if they will do a 3 month discount if you pay up front. This is a great way to test a place at a good rate.
No matter how you do it, Crossfit can be great for some people. It’s high intensity and will have you pushing your limits. And even if you don’t think that sounds like your type of thing. Check it out. You may be surprised at what you’re capable of!