Embarking on a quest through the wilds of ultrarunning gear, the UltrAspire Speedgoat 3.0 waist pack stands out compared to other options on the market. Offering a blend of mythical comfort and practical magic. If it works; it’s a game-changer, designed with the wisdom of ultrarunning legend Karl Meltzer. Through the lens of this UltrAspire Speedgoat 3.0 review, I’ll unveil how it performed on the hot and humid trials of 100-mile ultras or the exhilarating dashes of shorter trails—into a seamless part of the run.
With over 200 miles tested, discover how this waist pack becomes an indispensable ally, ensuring your focus remains on the path ahead, paved with hydration, comfort, and the freedom to explore.
- Proven durability and functionality over 200 miles of trail racing, including extreme 100-mile ultramarathons.
- Features include dual water bottle holders, a large phone pocket, a rear pocket with key clip, and unique pull loops for pole carrying.
- Designed for high stability and ease of access, with special attention to hydration and storage needs during races.
- Ideal for mid to long-distance trail races, especially in warm conditions, due to its breathable materials and efficient weight distribution.
- Highly recommended for its blend of comfort, storage capacity, and stability, making it a go-to gear for serious trail runners.
Trail Testing the UltrAspire Speedgoat Waist Pack
The UltrAspire Speedgoat 3.0 Waist Pack, named after and designed in collaboration with ultra-running legend Karl Meltzer, is a specialized piece of gear aimed at trail runners and ultra-marathoners.
My experience with this waist pack spans over 200 miles of racing, including a variety of distances from 11 to 100 miles. This review is my personal insight into what makes the Speedgoat 3.0 a standout choice for runners.
UltrAspire Speedgoat 3.0 Specs
- Designed For: Stability and easy access during long-distance running
- Hydration System: Comes with 2 UltraFlask 550 Hybrid Bottles
- Bottle Holsters: Insulated and positioned for easy access, with a mechanical locking system to prevent launching
- Storage: Equipped with a 4-way stretch mesh zippered pocket for secure storage and quick stash pockets in each holster
- Front Pocket: Functional 4-way stretch mesh pocket capable of carrying large cell phones, plus Z-pole attachments
- Breathability: Made with breathable webbing for improved heat dissipation
- Weight Distribution: Designed for increased stability by keeping the weight near your center of gravity
- Adjustability: Dual-sided adjustment for a wide sizing range with single speed hook access for easy on and off
- Additional Features: Tuck away jacket straps for extra clothing or Z-poles, strategically placed compression for bottle size options
- Fit: Unisex, Universal size (28″ – 40″ waist)
- Color Options: Burgundy/Cherry Tomato, Lagoon/Navy
- Capacity: 107 c.i. (1.75 L)
- Official link to the Ultraspire website
Durability and Comfort
From the scorching heat of 100-mile races to the unpredictable conditions of shorter trail runs, the Speedgoat 3.0 has proven itself to be both durable and comfortable. The pack is equipped with two UltraFlask 550 Hybrid Bottles that sit in insulated holsters for easy access and temperature control. The breathable webbing and improved heat dissipation design have allowed me to run shirtless without experiencing chafing. A testament to the pack’s comfort even in extreme conditions.
Storage and Accessibility
Storage is plentiful and thoughtfully designed, with a large front pocket that can accommodate even the largest of phones and a secure rear pocket with a key clip. The inclusion of two pull loops for poles is a game-changer, allowing runners to carry their poles with ease. Despite its capacity, the pack remains stable and secure when fully loaded. Thanks to the dual-sided adjustment and quick adjust features that ensure a perfect fit.
Performance in Races
The Speedgoat 3.0 shines in mid to long-distance races, particularly in warmer weather where it allows for minimal gear and maximum efficiency. The pack’s design focuses on keeping the weight centered and stable, which has been crucial in conserving energy and maintaining speed over technical trails. The ease of access to hydration and nutrition without breaking stride is a significant advantage during races.
UltrAspire Speedgoat Pros & Cons
- Exceptional Comfort: Designed with breathable materials and a fit that prevents chafing, the Speedgoat 3.0 can be worn comfortably for hours on end. Even in hot and humid conditions. Its ability to stay put without bouncing, even when fully loaded, ensures a distraction-free run.
- Ample Storage: With two hydration bottle holders, a large front pocket that accommodates big smartphones, a secure rear pocket with a key clip, and innovative pull loops for trekking poles. The pack offers versatile storage solutions that are easily accessible on the move.
- Stable Hydration System: The included UltraFlask 550 Hybrid Bottles fit securely in insulated holsters, minimizing movement and making hydration convenient. While the mechanical locking system prevents any accidental “launching” of bottles.
- Durable and Well-Designed: The pack’s durability is proven over extensive use, now well over 200 miles. With thoughtful design elements like quick adjust straps for a perfect fit and a 4-way stretch mesh zippered pocket for additional storage needs.
- Optimized for Performance: Its design focuses on keeping the weight close to your center of gravity. Enhancing stability and efficiency during long runs, and is especially beneficial in mid to long-distance races in warm weather.
- Adjustment Difficulty: Once on the move, making adjustments to the fit can be challenging due to the secure cinching system. It’s recommended to find your perfect fit before starting your race or run.
- Price Point: As a specialized piece of running equipment designed with input from an ultra-running legend. The Speedgoat 3.0 may come at a premium price compared to standard running belts. Which could be a consideration for budget-conscious runners.
- Limited Size Adjustability: While it offers a “one size fits most” approach with dual-sided adjustments. Those on the very ends of the size spectrum may find it difficult to achieve a perfect fit.
- Learning Curve for Bottle Holsters: New users may need some practice to get used to the mechanical locking system of the bottle holsters for quick, on-the-go hydration without looking.
- Breathable Materials and Heat Dissipation: The use of breathable webbing and insulated holsters ensures comfort and temperature control. Essential for long races in warm conditions.
- Efficient Weight Distribution: The design of the pack focuses on keeping the weight close to the body, providing stability and preventing energy waste.
- Versatile Storage: With multiple pockets and pole loops, the pack offers versatile storage options without compromising on accessibility or security.
- Adjustability for Perfect Fit: The quick adjust system and dual-sided adjustment allow for a custom fit, ensuring the pack stays in place even during the most rigorous activities.
The UltrAspire Speedgoat 3.0 Waist Pack is an exceptional piece of gear for trail runners and ultra-marathoners seeking reliability, comfort, and efficiency. My personal experience, coupled with the pack’s designed features, underscores its suitability for a wide range of racing conditions and distances. It’s a piece of equipment that has earned its place in my running rotation, and I wholeheartedly recommend it to others in the trail running community.
Top 5 Questions and Answers:
Is the UltrAspire Speedgoat 3.0 suitable for shorter races or casual runs?
Absolutely! While it excels in mid to long-distance races, its comfort and storage make it great for any run where you need hydration and essentials on hand.
How does the waist pack perform in terms of stability when fully loaded?
The pack’s design ensures it remains stable and close to the body, even when fully loaded. Preventing bouncing and shifting that can be distracting and uncomfortable.
Can the pack accommodate different sizes of phones and bottles?
Yes, the large phone pocket is designed to fit big smartphones, and the compression system allows for different bottle sizes. Though it comes with two UltraFlask 550 Hybrid Bottles.
Is it easy to clean and maintain?
The materials used are durable and easy to clean, ensuring the pack can withstand rigorous use and maintain its condition over time.
What makes the Speedgoat 3.0 different from other waist packs on the market?
Its combination of breathable materials for heat dissipation, efficient weight distribution for stability, and unique features like pole loops and insulated bottle holsters set it apart as a specialized.