Below is a list of Spartan Race tips and obstacle weights, details and info from around the web.
It’s important to note that weights can vary due to the materials used at each venue, adding water weight based on weather conditions ect. Logs have the most variance based on moisture and Sandbag is the least.
Spartan Race Rope Thickness: 1 inch
– I’m still reading that people are still occasionally seeing a 1.5″ ropes at some races but 1″ is considered the standard.
Rope Climb Height: 16 feet
Spartan Spear Throw Distance: 20 – 30 ft depending on the course and far from behind the barrier you throw from.
– Aim high. You will see a lot of people under throw the target but I’ve yet to see someone over throw it.
Spear Size and Weight: Here is our guide to building your own DIY Spartan Spear.
Spartan Race Obstacle Weights
Sandbag (pancakes): Men 40 lbs – Women 30 lbs
Sandbag (bags): Men 45 lbs – Women 35 lbs
Bucket Carry: Men 70 – 100 lbs – Women – 50 – 80 lbs
Log Carry: Men 30+ lbs – Women 20+ lbs
– These are low because you can get lucky and pick a really light log – they don’t weigh them, they just cut them into equal sections. some being much heavier than.
Sled Pull: Men two 45 pound bags – Women one 45 pound bag for women
– Plus the sled, and water, and whatever material is stuck on the sled (dirt, mud, grass).
Herc Hoist: Men 105 lbs – Women 75 lbs
– Keep your eyes out for a good rope. The more worn and muddy the rope is, the harder it is to lift. The first pull is typically the hardest, make sure to use your body weight to get the weight moving.
Atlas Stone: Men 75-100 lbs – Women 50-70 lbs
– Tip, look for a chewed up stone. Because they are chewed up, these will be lighter and have a better grip. If the course is wet/muddy make sure to rock the stone to break any suction to the ground before lifting.
Tire Flip: Men 400 lbs – Women 200 lbs.
– Try to find a spot on the tire that has a gap to get your fingers solidly underneath, between the tire and the ground. For this obstacle, half of the battle is getting a good grip. Some racers will dig out room for their fingers out of the dirt below the tire, before lifting the tire.
If you have any other Spartan Race tips, obstacle weights, or info, please leave them in the comments below and I will continue to update this list!