After being featured in the popular tv show Game of Thrones. The Reynisfjara Black Sand Beach has become one of Iceland’s most popular stops along the infamous RIng Road. Featuring large basalt columns stretching to the land’s end and into the ocean. It’s no wonder the show used this as the end of the great wall of the north. Beyond this, there are also stunning volcanic rock pillars climbing out of the crashing waves of the ocean. Making for some great views and photos. So check out the video and tips for visiting the Reynisfjara black sand beach. To make sure you have the perfect stop on your Iceland adventure.
Tips for Visiting Reynisfjara Black Sand Beach in Iceland
AllTrails Link: Click Here
Type: Out and Back
Distance: 0.4 Miles / .6 Kilometers
Elevation Gain: 20+ Feet / 60+ Meters
Reynisfjara Black Sand Beach Tips
- Reynisfjara beach is located directly off of the Ring Road, and can be accessed by any type of vehicle or tour bus.
- This means you should expect crowds unless you go during off hours. Really early or late in the day.
- The beach and most famous views are only a short 0.2 mile walk from the parking lot.
- The walk starts on a paved path but quickly turns to uneven sand. An easy walk but if you have mobility problems you may want to use walking sticks or trekking poles.
- There may be wildlife like seals or nesting native birds on the beach. Please do not touch any wildlife.
- You can walk past the basalt columns when the tide is lower. But if the tide is in, be careful because you can get wet.
- The ocean water is freezing!
- You can climb on the basalt rocks. But be careful, they can become slick from the ocean mist and a fall could result in serious injury.
- If there are crowds, people are pretty good about lining up / cueing for the popular photo spot. So please be respectful and wait for others to finish.
- You can fly drones here, so be on the lookout for people that don’t know what they are doing. We saw a few.
- If you do fly your drone, please be respectful of others.
Photos and Final Thoughts
The Reynisfjara black sand beach has become very popular since it was featured in Game of Thrones. It’s an incredibly beautiful location and well worth the stop. Especially for how close it is to the main road and how short the walk is. It doesn’t take a lot of time and is well worth the quick stop. So if you’re planning an Iceland visit it is well worth adding to your itinerary.
Below are some photos from the beach. And if you have any questions just let me know in the comments below!