One of the most beautiful canyons in Iceland, and possibly the world, is located just a short distance off of Iceland’s famous ring road. And after being featured in the Just Bieber music video “I’ll Show You”, the Fjadrargljufur Canyon has exploded in popularity over the past few years. After visiting the location for ourselves. It’s easy to understand why. The canyon views are spectacular and well worth the stop. So to help you have the best trip possible. Below are tips for visiting Fjadrargljufur Canyon in Iceland. Including video and photos from the full hike to the far viewing platform.
Tips for Visiting Fjadrargljufur Canyon – Iceland Hiking
AllTrails Link: Click Here
Type: Out and Back
Distance: 2 Miles / 3.2 Kilometers
Elevation Gain: 300+ Feet / 90+ Meters
Fjadrargljufur Canyon, located a short 10-15 minute drive from Iceland’s famous ring road, offers accessible parking for all vehicles with no need for a 4×4. Public restrooms are available at the parking area. The hike covers an easy 2-mile round trip with around 300 feet (90 meters) of elevation gain, including a gradual climb followed by level terrain. The well-maintained trail is suitable for all ages, and if mobility is a concern, walking poles are recommended. Multiple viewing platforms at both the beginning and end of the canyon provide stunning vistas, but visitors should be considerate of photographers who may have been waiting for the perfect shot. Drone enthusiasts can fly their drones here, following Iceland’s drone laws. Planning a midday visit is ideal to capture the canyon illuminated by sunlight on both sides.
Fjadrargljufur Canyon Tips
- Fjadrargljufur Canyon is located only 10-15 minutes off of Iceland’s famous ring road.
- The road and parking lot is accessible for all cars and vans. No 4×4 needed.
- There are public restrooms at the parking lot.
- The hike itself is an easy 2 mile out and back with roughly 300ft/90 meters of elevation gain.
- The first part of the hike gains a bit of elevation but levels out once you reach the top of the first climb.
- The trail itself is well groomed and suitable for all ages. If you have mobility challenges, walking poles and sticks are recommended.
- There are multiple viewing platforms to see and photograph the Fjadrargljufur Canyon. One at the beginning of one at the end of the canyon. Both offer incredible views.
- Be mindful of photographers that have been set up for hours waiting for the perfect shot. The general rule is, the first person there has the shooting priority.
- You can fly drones at the canyon. Just be respectful of others and follow the country’s drone laws of no flying out of line of sight, or over people.
- If you can, plan your visit for the middle of the day, where the sun will light up both sides of the canyon for you.
Common Questions and Answers
What is Fjaðrárgljúfur Canyon?
Fjaðrárgljúfur is a stunning, narrow canyon located in South Iceland, known for its dramatic landscape. The canyon was formed by glacial erosion over thousands of years and is surrounded by steep cliffs and lush vegetation.
How do I get to Fjaðrárgljúfur Canyon?
Fjaðrárgljúfur Canyon is located off the Ring Road (Route 1) in South Iceland, near the town of Kirkjubæjarklaustur. There is a well-marked parking area, and from there, you can take a short walk to viewpoints overlooking the canyon.
Are there hiking trails in Fjaðrárgljúfur Canyon?
Yes, there are hiking trails in and around Fjaðrárgljúfur Canyon that allow you to explore the area further. The main trail offers several viewpoints where you can enjoy breathtaking views of the canyon and surrounding landscape. The trails can be steep and rocky in places, so appropriate footwear is recommended.
When is the best time to visit Fjaðrárgljúfur Canyon?
The best time to visit Fjaðrárgljúfur Canyon is during the summer months (June to August) when the weather is milder, and the canyon is accessible. This is also when you can see the lush green vegetation that surrounds the canyon. However, the canyon is open year-round, so you can visit during other seasons if you’re prepared for potentially challenging weather conditions.
Is there an entrance fee to visit Fjaðrárgljúfur Canyon?
As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, there was no entrance fee to visit Fjaðrárgljúfur Canyon. However, this may change, so it’s a good idea to check the latest information before your visit. Additionally, there may be parking fees, so be prepared to pay for parking if required.
Below are some photos from our hike. And if you have any questions just let me know in the comments below!
Fjadrargljufur Canyon in Iceland is an absolute must-visit destination for travelers seeking breathtaking natural beauty. Located just a short drive from Iceland’s famous ring road and made even more famous by its appearance in Justin Bieber’s “I’ll Show You” music video, this canyon offers awe-inspiring views that are well worth the stop. This blog post has provided valuable tips for anyone planning to visit, including information on accessibility, the ease of the hike, and practical advice for photographers and drone enthusiasts. The stunning photos and recommendation to visit during midday for the best lighting make it clear that Fjadrargljufur Canyon is a gem waiting to be explored. So, make sure to add it to your itinerary when touring Iceland, and you won’t be disappointed by the natural wonder that awaits you. Happy travels!