One of the most beautiful canyons in Iceland, and possibly the world, is located just a short distance off of Iceland’s famous ring road. And after being featured in the Just Bieber music video “I’ll Show You”, the Fjadrargljufur Canyon has exploded in popularity over the past few years. After visiting the location for ourselves. It’s easy to understand why. The canyon views are spectacular and well worth the stop. So to help you have the best trip possible. Below are tips for visiting Fjadrargljufur Canyon in Iceland. Including video and photos from the full hike to the far viewing platform.
Tips for Visiting Fjadrargljufur Canyon – Iceland Hiking
AllTrails Link: Click Here
Type: Out and Back
Distance: 2 Miles / 3.2 Kilometers
Elevation Gain: 300+ Feet / 90+ Meters
Fjadrargljufur Canyon Tips
- Fjadrargljufur Canyon is located only 10-15 minutes off of Iceland’s famous ring road.
- The road and parking lot is accessible for all cars and vans. No 4×4 needed.
- There are public restrooms at the parking lot.
- The hike itself is an easy 2 mile out and back with roughly 300ft/90 meters of elevation gain.
- The first part of the hike gains a bit of elevation but levels out once you reach the top of the first climb.
- The trail itself is well groomed and suitable for all ages. If you have mobility challenges, walking poles and sticks are recommended.
- There are multiple viewing platforms to see and photograph the Fjadrargljufur Canyon. One at the beginning of one at the end of the canyon. Both offer incredible views.
- Be mindful of photographers that have been set up for hours waiting for the perfect shot. The general rule is, the first person there has the shooting priority.
- You can fly drones at the canyon. Just be respectful of others and follow the country’s drone laws of no flying out of line of sight, or over people.
- If you can, plan your visit for the middle of the day, where the sun will light up both sides of the canyon for you.
Photos and Final Thoughts
After being featured in the “I’ll Show You” Just Bieber music video, the Fjadrargljufur Canyon has gained in popularity over the past few years. And for good reason. The Canyon is stunning from start to finish. And well worth adding to your list of stops while touring Iceland and the ring road. If you’re short on time you can hike to the first viewing platform at the start of the canyon. But if you have the time it is well worth making it to the last viewing platform. Which in my opinion is the better view. And the one you most often see in photos. If you can, go mid day to catch the best light. But no matter what, you won’t be let down.
Below are some photos from our hike. And if you have any questions just let me know in the comments below!