The spear throw, often referred to as the “burpee maker,” stands out as one of Spartan Race’s most distinctive obstacles. It serves as the great equalizer in any race, irrespective of your speed or strength. Rather, the spear throw places a premium on mental focus and technique, making it a challenge that requires more than just physical prowess on the course.
Distance: 20-30 feet from behind a barricade
Training Focus: Practice throwing a spear by building you own
Links: Cheap and easy DIY Spartan Race spear
Race Day Spear Throw Tips
- Practice Before the Race: Before the race, practice throwing a spear or a similar object. You can make a DIY practice spear using a broomstick or PVC pipe and a foam or pool noodle tip.
- Develop a Consistent Technique: Consistency is key. Develop a throwing technique that works for you and practice it until it becomes second nature.
- Use a One-Handed Overhand Throw: Many Spartans find success with a one-handed overhand throw. Hold the spear with one hand, point the tip down, and use an overhand motion to throw it.
- Place the Connected Rope on the Opposite Side of the Barrier: A lot of people pull the return rope over the barrier to the same side you are throwing on. This causes drag and can even catch, causing the spear to just drop. So make sure the rope is over the barrier in between the barrier and the target.
- Maintain a Proper Grip: Grip the spear firmly but not too tightly. The key is to have control over the spear while allowing it to release smoothly upon impact.
- Aim Above the Center of the Target: Focus on a point the center of the target. The spear will typically sink in the air because of the weight and most people end up missing low. SO aim at a spot just above the center.
- Stay Calm and Focused: The Spear Throw can be intimidating, but don’t let nerves get the best of you. Stay calm, take a deep breath, and focus on your target.
- Don’t Rush: You have one attempt to make the throw. So take your time before you throw. Rushing can lead to mistakes.
What is the Spartan Race spear throw obstacle?
The Spartan Race spear throw is an obstacle where participants must throw a wooden spear accurately to impale a hay bale target. It’s designed to test participants’ accuracy and marksmanship skills.
What happens if I miss the target during the spear throw?
If you miss the target, you typically have to complete a penalty such as a short burpee penalty (usually 30 burpees). Missing the target can cost you time and energy in a Spartan Race, so accuracy is crucial.
What’s the best technique for the spear throw in a Spartan Race?
The most common technique is the overhand grip. Hold the spear by the center and launch it overhand like a javelin. Practice and focus on your aim to increase your chances of hitting the target.
Can I bring my own spear for the Spartan Race spear throw?
No, you are provided with a standardized spear, and you cannot bring your own equipment. This ensures a level playing field for all participants.