It’s official, Spartan Race has announced it’s newest event Spartan Cross. The new event was featured in the Spartan Games and will be run for the first time as a test at the 2021 Jacksonville Florida race. This exclusive test run will be given to Pros and 350 lucky racers. So make sure you are watching the site if you are looking to sign up.
According to Spartan Race’s David Watson, Spartan Cross has been in the works for almost 3 years. David said that they are looking to create something new and explosive. Something that can featured in the Spartan Race weekend full events. Hinting at a possibly Friday start for the pros. And noted that this will not be Ninja Warrior style course and the emphasis will still be on running. While the exact details of the what the course will look like is still a work in progress he did leak a few key details.
- Spartan Race introduces Spartan Cross, a new event focusing on short, TV-friendly 600-1300 meter laps with 8-10 obstacles, emphasizing running as the core element.
- Initially, Spartan Cross will offer two entry groups, Elite and Open, with potential for a team event in the future.
- Spartan Race has invested nearly 3 years in developing this event, aiming to expand the sport’s appeal and attract a wider range of short course racers, including Crossfit and functional fitness athletes.
- Spartan Cross will be tested at the 2021 Jacksonville Florida race, featuring Pros and 350 participants.
- Spartan Race’s long-term plan includes pushing for increased media coverage, athlete participation, and prize money in the national series, making it an exciting development in the world of obstacle course racing.
Spartan Race – The Spartan Cross Course
David described the course as consisting of 600 -1300 meter laps with a total race distance of less than 3k. You can expect to run the loop 2-4 times depending on the venue. Each lap will have (this could change) 8-10 obstacles with a run in between. Again, he emphazised that running will be a big part of the Spartan Cross event. Initially the plan is to only offer two groups of entry, Elite and Open. But he mention to be on the look out for a team event.
While this may come as a minor announcement from Spartan Race, David said we should plan to be on the look out for a larger announcement this summer. He made it clear they plan for Spartan Cross is to push the national series in attention as far as media coverage, athletes, and prize money.
I think it’s clear that Spartan Race is looking for a smaller more TV friendly version of the sport. Something that can really show off the athletes. This will also open up the sport to entirely new group of short course racers including Crossfit and functional fitness athletes that have a much better shot in a 3k race on more predictable terrain.
Spartan Race’s announcement of their new event, Spartan Cross, marks an exciting development in the world of obstacle course racing. With its focus on short, TV-friendly laps emphasizing both running and obstacles, this event is set to attract a broader range of athletes, including those from the Crossfit and functional fitness communities. The initial test run at the 2021 Jacksonville Florida race is an exciting preview, with two entry groups, Elite and Open, and the possibility of a team event in the future. Spartan Race’s long-term vision for Spartan Cross includes increasing media coverage, athlete participation, and prize money, all aimed at showcasing the sport’s potential and welcoming new enthusiasts. This announcement promises to usher in a new era for obstacle course racing, making it more accessible and thrilling for athletes and viewers alike.