Skógafoss National Park in Iceland is one of the country’s most popular parks. While also featuring one of the country’s most iconic waterfalls. But this park is much more than just the main falls located a short walk from the parking lot. The park features a 4.2 mile (6.75 km) out and back. Leading hikers and trail runners to a series of incredible waterfalls and views. Below are tips for visiting the waterfall and planning your Skógafoss hike. With a video showing all of the trails major highlights and pictures of all of the falls located long the main trail.
Skógafoss Hike – Skógafoss National Park
AllTrails Link: Click Here
Type: Out and Back
Distance: 4.2 Miles / 6.75 Killometers
Elevation Gain: 1,100+ Feet / 335 Meters
Tips for Visiting Skógafoss National Park
- The national park is open 24 hours a day and located right off of highway 1 (the ring road).
- Reykjavik to Skogafoss is 155 kilometers (96 Miles) and takes roughly 2 hours and 10 minutes without traffic.
- There is a parking fee to park onsite that must be paid online. The cost is 700 ISK per passenger car.
- There are restrooms onsite.
- The main falls (Skógafoss waterfall) is a short paved walk from the parking lot.
- The trail to the top of the falls features 370 stairs.
- There is a viewing platform at the top of the falls offering great views.
- Beyond the main falls, there is a series of smaller, but still stunning falls. You can see them in the video.
- Once you pass the main falls, the crowds disappear and you will be treated to a much less tourist experience.
- You cannot fly drones in any national park in Iceland.