One of the secret weapons for many top lifters is the landmine press. Unfortunately the attachment isn’t available at many gyms. But with this little DIY hack you can make your own Portable DIY Landmine attachment base. And do it for under $10 and possibly free! The best part is that it won’t scratch your bar. Making the perfect tool that can even be used at your globo gym.
- Create a Portable DIY Landmine Attachment Base inexpensively.
- Use a tennis ball and a utility knife for this simple DIY project.
- Customize the attachment for Olympic and smaller barbells.
- Versatile placement options in your gym or workout space.
- Safely secure your barbell without scratching it.
What is a Landmine Attachment and What is it Used For?
A “landmine attachment” in weightlifting typically refers to a piece of exercise equipment that attaches to a barbell or is used in conjunction with a barbell. It allows for a variety of exercises and movements, adding versatility to your weightlifting routine. The term “landmine” comes from the fact that the barbell can pivot around a fixed point, much like a landmine in the ground, which provides a different range of motion compared to traditional barbell exercises.
Some common exercises that can be performed with a landmine attachment include:
- Landmine Press: This exercise involves pressing the end of the barbell that is loaded with weight plates away from your chest, working the shoulders and triceps.
- Landmine Rows: You can use the landmine attachment for rowing exercises that target the back muscles.
- Landmine Squats: This exercise involves holding the landmine attachment while performing squats. It can be less stressful on the lower back and is often used as an alternative to traditional barbell squats.
- Landmine Twists: This exercise involves twisting or rotating the barbell to work the core muscles.
- Landmine Thrusters: A combination exercise that combines a front squat with an overhead press, working the legs, shoulders, and core.
- Landmine Deadlifts: Using the landmine attachment, you can perform deadlift variations that place less stress on the lower back compared to traditional barbell deadlifts.
Landmine attachments are versatile and can be used for a variety of functional movements and compound exercises, making them a valuable addition to a weightlifting routine. They are especially useful for people looking to diversify their workouts and reduce the risk of injury by changing the range of motion in certain exercises.
Portable DIY Landmine Attachment Base
This may be the simplest DIY ever! All you need is a tennis ball and a utility knife. Even easier, you can get a pre-cut tennis ball made for walkers. They come in a variety of colors too.
Tennis Ball – Pre-Cut – For free, you can also visit your local tennis court and look around the perimeter of the court fence for a stray. Or ask someone if they have any dead balls they are going to toss.
Utility Knife – Most people will have one of these somewhere in their house.
If you are starting with an uncut tennis ball you will cut a slit into the tennis ball almost 50% around for an Olympic bar and 25% around for the smaller barbells. When starting with the pre-cut tennis ball, you may just need to extend the cuts just a little based on the size of your bar.
To use, simply insert the end of the barbell into the tennis ball then wedge the tennis ball into a corner. This cab be in the rack (pictured below). In the base of the bench (see below). Or in any corner of the building. The tennis ball will not damage the barbell or the surface you place it against. While the weight of the barbell will hold the end down and positioned in the corner.
The DIY Portable Landmine Attachment Base offers a clever and cost-effective solution for fitness enthusiasts looking to enhance their workouts. With just a tennis ball and a utility knife, you can create this versatile tool, compatible with various barbell sizes, all for under $10 or possibly even for free. What’s more, this DIY attachment won’t damage your barbell and can be used in different gym settings, making it a valuable addition to your fitness routine. Whether you’re at a specialized gym or a globo gym, this ingenious hack ensures you can enjoy the benefits of a landmine press without the need for specialized equipment. So, go ahead and upgrade your workouts with this simple yet effective DIY solution.