When comparing the Hoka Carbon X vs Nike Vaporfly Next there is a lot to love from both of these shoes. One is the legendary shoes that propelled a human past the 2 hour marathon while the other is the answer from one of the fastest growing running shoe brands in the world. But both will come at price. Falling at the top of each brand’s price points.
So before you spend the money, make sure you know which shoe is right for you. Below we’ll cover the better shoe for racing, training, comfort, and durability. With images. All to help you decide on the best running shoe for you.
Hoka Carbon X vs Nike Vaporfly Next%
- The Nike Vaporfly Next are incredibly light. Nike has done away with any extra weight. You will see the difference in the photos below.
- The Hoka Carbon X have a 5mm drop compared to 8mm on the Vaporfly. More on the advantages and disadvantages of both of these below.
- Both shoes have a carbon “plate”. This is the infamous “plate” that is proven to increase performance by adding more rebound to the shoe.
- The Hoka One One Carbon X has noticeably more cushion and feels more durable. You can tell where the added weight is in these shoes compared to the Vaporfly.
- The Vaporfly comes in Unisex sizing. Keep this in mind if you are shipping for women’s shoes.
- The Nike Vaporfly Next is designed to race. There is no doubt about it. This shoe was designed with one purpose. To go fast and break world records.
Hoka One One
Carbon X 2
MSRP Price: $180
Men’s – Click Here
Women’s – Click Here
Weight Men’s: 7.80oz
Weight Woman’s: 7.00z
MSRP Price: $250+
Unisex Link: Click Here
Weight: 6.6oz (size 9)
Comparing the Hoka One One Carbon x vs Nike Vaporfly Next there is no question that both of these are high end. But there are some major differences. The Hoka Carbon X feels like a much more substantial shoe. In both weight and build durability. They are comfortable and heavily cushioned as you would expect from a Hoka One one running shoe. And while they feel fast with the 5mm drop, they don’t feel like you’re going to run out of your shoes like you do in the Vaporflys.
The Nike Vaporfly Next on the other hand feels incredibly light. And the 8mm drop has these things feeling fast before you even start running. Once you do start running though, these things fly. The rebound is just insane. It truly feels like someone put a spring in your step. My only problem with this is that when it comes to slower tempo training and recover runs, it’s hard to keep a slower pace in the Vaporflys
Below are the Hoka Carbon X vs Nike Vaportfly Next% side by side for comparison. You can see some noticeable differences, especially in the soles..
Hoka Carbon X Profile
Nike Vaporfly Next % Profile
The inside view of both models.
Hoka One One Carbon X 2 Profile
Nike Vaporfly Next % Profile
As you can see below, the sole patterns of the two shoes are completely different.
Hoka One One Carbon x Sole
Nike Vaporfly Next% Sole
Conclusion – Hoka One One Carbon X vs Nike Vaporfly Next%
These are two of the highest priced running shoes on the market. And for a good reason, there is so much to love about both of these shoes. If you have read some of my other reviews you will know that I am a Hoka One One fan. And the Carbon X do not disappoint. They are everything you want in Hoka running shoe. The Nike Vaborfly Next lives up to every bit of it’s hype. This is a world record setting shoe that is meant to race and go fast.
So which shoe would I buy?
If I’m looking to run the fastest marathon of my life and have the $250 to spend on running shoes that may only last 100 miles. Or am a professional road runner. Then I am 100% going with the Nike Vaporfly.
On the other hand, if I’m your average runner looking for a great “carbon” shoe that hold up to training miles and race miles. Then I’m going to save the money and buy the more durable of the two shoes in the Carbon X.