For our second to last stop on day one of our Iceland road trip we are stopping by the Fjallsarlon Glacier Lagoon. Just a short drive off of the Ring Road and only 20 minutes from Diamond Beach. The lagoon offers visitors a short hike with the payoff of an incredible view of one of Iceland’s famous glaciers. Taking only 30-60 minutes to fully enjoy. This one should definitely make your short list in your planning a trip. Below is a video, tips and photos from our trip.
Fjallsarlon Glacier Lagoon – Tips and Info
AllTrails Link: Click Here
Type: Out and Back (This can be done in a loop like shown in the video)
Distance: 1.5 Miles / 2.4 Kilometers
Elevation Gain: 100+ Feet / 30+ Meters
Fjallsarlon Glacier Lagoon Tips
- The Fjallsarlon Glacier Lagoon is located just a short drive off of the Ring Road on the south east part of Iceland.
- The lagoons parking lot is easily accessible for all vehicles.
- There is a small visitor center on site. But it is only open certain hours.
- The trails in open 24 hours a day.
- When the visitor center is closed, we didn’t see any restrooms.
- The hike is a 1.5 mile (2.5km) out and back.
- This hike can be done as a loop during most of the year. Which I recommend.
- There is only bout 100 feet (30 meters) of elevation gain on the whole trail.
- The trail is well marked leading to the lagoon.
Photos and Final Thoughts
Visiting the Fjallsarlon Glacier Lagoon wasn’t the number one thing on our todo list when visiting Iceland. But it ended up being a true hidden gem of a find. It’s the perfect short stop allowing you to experience how impressive the glaciers truly are. Just carving out a path through volcanic rock mountains. The all trails link has the hike as sort of a horse shoe. But in the video you will see that we did it as a loop. Which we really enjoyed. In the winter the beach may freeze over making the horse shoe the better route.