If you’re wanting to up your adventure game, taking on more adventurous trails, scrambles, and bagging more difficult peaks. Then it’s important you have the right equipment. Enter the Black Diamond Half Dome helmet. A necessity for any climber or mountaineer. Protecting our most important asset on the mountain, our heads.
With the increasing popularity of rock scrambling, peak bagging, high exposure trails, and via ferratas all over the world. Having the right climbing helmet is an essential for many up and coming outdoor adventures. And will open you up to new adventures. Below is a review for one of our essential pieces of gear for every trip we take on every trip, the Black Diamond Half Dome Helmet.
- As the popularity of adventurous activities like rock scrambling and peak bagging increases, having the right climbing helmet is essential.
- The helmet features an ABS shell, EPS impact foam, adjustable head circumference fit, adjustable chin strap, and headlamp/Gopro strap clips.
- It comes in two sizes and multiple color options.
- The helmet is lightweight, comfortable for long hours of wear, and has an adjustable dial for a snug fit.
- The reviewer has used it for various activities and trusts it with their life on the mountain.
- It is recommended for safety in activities involving minor falls or falling rocks, especially on challenging routes and crowded areas.
- A good climbing helmet is considered one of the essential items for mountaineers.
Reviewing the Black Diamond Half Dome Helmet
- ABS Shell
- EPS Impact Foam
- Adjustable Head Circumference Fit Using Easy Adjustable Dial
- Adjustable Chin Strap
- Headlamp (or Gopro) Strap Clips
Size & Weight:
- S/M 50-58 cm (19.7-23 in) – 330 g (11.6 oz)
- M/L 56-63 cm (22-25 in) – 350 g (12.3 oz)
Link: Amazon Link Click Here
A helmet may seem like an easy item to review. But after wearing a helmet for hours and hours on end you realize how important comfort, weight, and the ability to get the fit right are. I’ve personally used the Black Diamond Half Dome helmet for over four years now. Using it to summit 10+ 14ers, the Middle Teton, multiple via ferratas, and even to go caving in Wyoming. And so far it’s never let me down.
The light weight design allows me to carry the helmet attached to my running vest or pack. And the adjustable dial that allows you to get the helmet snug around your head is an awesome feature. Especially when you have to break layers (beanies and buffs) as you go. And while I’ve yet to find a truly comfortable chins strap, the Black Diamond fits as well as any of the others.
Right now every member in my climbing group uses the Black Diamond Half Dome helmet. And I will continue to trust it with my life on the mountain. And that should be the best review anyone could give a product. I trust it with my life!
Every year hundreds of hikers and climbers are injured in preventable accidents resulting from minor falls or falling rocks. And every time I’m out on the mountain I am shocked at the number of people I see completing class 3-4 scrabbles without helmets. With many of these routes on loose rock, following long couloirs, placing you directly under other climbers. Mixing in a growing crowd number inexperienced climbers (I was once), if you are not prepared it’s a recipe for something to go wrong.
Because of this, there are a few items every mountaineer should have, starting with a good climbing helmet.